New Economics Foundation – Read the whole article here
The Five Ways to Wellbeing are a set of evidence-based public mental health messages aimed at improving the mental health and wellbeing of the whole population.
Geography Cat’s approach
Geography Cat offers his followers a chance to connect with others through social media and hopes to arrange some meet-ups in the future.
He encourages people to be active and go out and about, whether it’s just a walk around your neighbourhood, or something further afield.
Through his geographical slant on places, he hopes that his followers will take notice of their environment, whether it’s the blue sky, the birds in the trees, or a pebble on the beach. Everywhere has something interesting about it if you take notice.
Geography Cat writes blogs about the postcards he receives and encourages his followers to learn about new places and processes.
And finally, when his followers send him a postcard they are already giving something to the Geography Cat community, they put their time and patience and a little money into sharing their experiences and thoughts with everyone else.
Mapping your G Cat Walk
Do all five actions at once by participating in our G Cat Walk initiative. Obviously you must stay safe and take no risks with your personal safety!
Here’s what you need to do:
- Go for a walk, or a cycle ride. Going with a friend makes it even more fun, and remember you’ll be sharing this walk with the GC community, it’s almost like you’re taking us all with you
- Take notice of the things you pass. Take a few photos, or make a sketch, or even record a soundscape, anything you can share
- Draw a sketch map of your walk and add the photos to it. Don’t worry about how “good” it is. The important thing is getting out there, being active, taking notice and sharing with others. And if you need a helping-paw just get in touch and Geography Cat will try to help.
- Send your map in, either by posting it on the Facebook page or by emailing it directly to GC
- Enjoy sharing your experience with others, and enjoy them sharing theirs with you
- Keep connected and do it again sometime soon